Kolkata Publication Centre
To keep Advaita Ashrama, Mayavati, in its pristine and quiet condition, and yet meet the growing worldwide demand for its publications and journal Prabuddha Bharata, it was decided to shift the printing and despatch work to Kolkata. This would also ensure better quality of books and a much wider reach. A branch centre was, therefore, started on 1 May 1920, in a rented shop at 28 College Street in central Kolkata. Later, this was shifted to a larger place in the same area. 1925 saw the dedicated souls who were the inmates of the Ashrama at 180B Muktaram Babu street in north Kolkata. As this place also became small for their lion hearts they shifted in 1931 to a building at 4 Wellington Lane.
The euphoria of pre-independence struggle was making constant demands for Ramakrishna-Vivekananda and Vedanta literature and the monks bravely met it. As the number of monastics grew along with the work, inversely did the Ashrama seem to shrink. But with minds fixed on the great mission of spreading the leaven of Advaita, all troubles were borne with equanimity. With meager funds scraped over the years they could finally think of having a spacious Ashrama building. Providentially Sri U. N. Deb, a former classmate of Swamiji, donated land to Belur Math and Advaita Ashrama erected a building at 5 Dehi Entally Road. This was in 1960.